We’ve all had that insatiable craving for a chocolate fix over the past month or so with all this dreary, rainy Scottish weather. You scramble through the cupboards praying you’ll come across half a packet of something, anything chocolatey; and as per, to no avail. You don’t want to go out in the rain and wind to get said chocolate and so this leaves you with one option: raid the baking cupboard and make these delicious cocoa powder-based goodies using just 6 ingredients!
Those cravings will be instantly satisfied, let me assure you…
– 115 grams butter
-85 grams plain flour
-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
-55 grams cocoa powder
-175 grams caster sugar
-Any chocolate or nuts you have to chuck in just before baking (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a standard round cake tin
2. Melt the butter (microwave or in a pan)
3. Add the cocoa powder to the butter, stir until smooth
4. Beat in the eggs and sugar
5. Fold in the flour and baking powder until there are no flour pockets left
6. At this point, add the nuts or additional chocolate if using (I found a sneaky bar of Tesco value white chocolate lurking in the depths of my baking cupboard!)
7. Pour the mixture into your tin and pop it in the oven for 25-30 minutes
8. You’ll know it’s done when you stick a knife in and just the tip comes out a little bit gooey
9. Tip the brownie out onto a chopping board and dust liberally with icing sugar
10. Slice it up and devour instantly!
They will keep well for up to a week in an airtight container, and gain a certain delicious fudgy-ness to them after a few days.
Photo credits: Victoria Allcoat