This recipe was born out of the leftovers from a steak and ale pie and my ‘waste not want not’ life motto. It’s bread, but it’s also ready in under an hour with no kneading and no mess!
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup oats
- 12 ounces of ale
- Preheat the oven to 180C; grease and flour a loaf tin
- Weigh out the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Combine in a bowl, making a well in the middle
- Pour the ale into the well and mix to form a thick batter
- Add the oats and stir to combine
- Pour the mix into the loaf tin, and sprinkle some oats over the top to make it look fancy
- Pop it in the oven for 45 minutes
- Remove after the times up or until well-risen and golden; set on a wire rack to cool
- Enjoy warm and buttered or toasted later!
Photo credits: Victoria Allcoat