Alice Roberts shares some incredible songs for a British road trip. Be sure to leave the window open and enjoy the fresh air!
Whether you are going on a long train journey or just a day-trip, a playlist is essential. I have consulted my struggling musician friend to help choose some of the best U.K. loosely-related-to-road-tripping songs. Luckily, the U.K. has a diverse enough music scene to tailor your choice to almost any city you wish to visit.
So, to compliment the subtle grandeur and rolling hills of the British countryside, and help illuminate the major British cities, here are some on the road music suggestions from The Tribe:
- TOY – Motoring
- Artic Monkeys – One for the Road, Arabella
- David Bowie – Changes
- Queen – I want to break free, Don’t stop me now
- Peace – Bloodshake
- The Smiths – Cemetery gates, there is a light that never goes out
- Fleetwood Mac – Go Your Own Way, Dreams
- Rolling Stones – Time is on my side, Silver train
- Temples – Ankh
- Two Door Cinema Club – What you know
- The Specials – Pressure Drop
- U2 – Where the streets have no names
- Phill Collins – Easy Lover
- Pink Floyd – Time
- The Kinks – Sunday Afternoon, Waterloo sunset
- Alt J – Left Hand free, Taro
- L.O – Mr Blue Sky, Ticket to the moon
- Lily Allen – Air Balloon
- Elton John – Goodbye yellowbrick road
- Coldplay – Speed of sound
Bonus Tracks: Location specific
Because some bands are difficult to separate from their city of origin… and essential to listen to if you ever visit.
Manchester: To feel the self-deprecating, sarcastic and threateningly cool vibe of Manchester in the 90’s that still carries through today.
Oasis – Wonderwall
Happy Mondays – Step on.
Glasgow: For both the gentle and louder sides of the Glasgow music scene.
Belle and Sebastian – Another Sunny day
Franz Ferdinand – Take me out.
London: London is huge, and basically impossible to sum up, but these songs should help you get into the London mood.
Madness – Driving in my car
Wolf Alice – Bro’s
Amy Winehouse – You sent me flying
Blur – Parklife.
Liverpool: This probably goes without saying, but I will say it anyway. If you are intrepid enough to voyage all the way to Liverpool, the Beatles are a must.
The Beatles – Two of us, The Long and Winding Road, Here Comes the Sun.
If you have any suggestions, feel free to comment below…