To get an idea of Joss as a person, or to see whether you think your music tastes will coincide, here is a brief interview:
1. Where are you from and what year are you in?
” I’m a fourth year from York. ”
2. What do you study and why do you like what you study?
” I study single honours Philosophy now, but did quite a few biology modules in first and second year. I like Philosophy because it gives you the opportunity to explore questions you have always (intuitively) wanted to know the answers to. Working these answers out seems like a good way to spend your time ”
3. What was the first album you bought?
” The Suburbs by Arcade Fire ”
4. Try and describe your music taste in one sentence/phrase:
” Eclectic ”
5. Who has most influenced your music taste and why?
” My mum, she liked 70s rock – Bob Seger and Bruce Springsteen mainly – it was always on in the house so I became familiar with it when I was quite young, and still enjoy listening to it.
6. Is there a song on your playlist that particularly stands out/is close to being your favourite?
” Changes every time I look at it – at this moment, it is ‘Real Love’.
7. When do you generally listen to music?
” Walking and writing (but not when reading). It might seem like an unusual choice, but I also listen to First Aid Kit when working out. ”
8. Are there any new artists you have come across recently that you would recommend?
” ‘Middle America’ by Stephen Malkmus (has a great voice and intro), ‘since you were not mine’ by She Drew The Gun (for its interesting lyrics) ”
9. What was the last song you listened to?
” Father John Misty – Chateau Lobby ”
10. If you were cast away to a mythical island, and could take five tracks and one book, what would they be?
Heroes – David Bowie
Father and Son – Kat Stevens
Blood Brothers – Bruce Springsteen
Against the Wind – Bob Seger
Take me on – Aha
And now for the Playlist…
1. Atlantic City – Bruce Springsteen
2. Real Love Baby – Farther John Misty
3. Masterpiece – Big Thief
4. In the Hearts of Men – First Aid Kit.
5. Pictures of You – The Cure
6. Empty Room – Arcade Fire.
7. How you like me now? – The Heavy
8. Up all night – Razorlight
9. Just for tonight – One Night Only
10. Train in Vain – The Clash
11. Something Good – Alt-J
12. I Got You – Jack Johnson.